Some states have additional requirements that supplement National Organic Program (NOP) regulations. California is one such state. In winter 2011, NOP granted the California State Organic Program (SOP) additional requirements. The additional requirements include the following:
- Producers and handlers of raw organic agricultural products with facilities located in California are required to register with the California Department of Agriculture county agricultural commissioner.
- Organic processors with facilities located in California, must register with the California Department of Health.
- Any California based organic processors, producers or handlers must provide verification of SOP registration before their accredited certifying agent grants them first-time or continuing organic certification.
- Accredited certifying agents operating in California need to register with the California Department of Agriculture and pay the required registration fees.
The full memo for these additional requirements may be read in the NOP Program Handbook - see Section G Policy Memos.
* Current as of Summer 2011.