Certified Organic - Easy Steps to Achieving & Maintaining Organic Certification
If you have an organic farm or organic business, one of the most important issues on your plate is organic certification. This section rounds up everything you'll need, such as organic certification basics, a step-by-step guide to certification, how to keep records, how to avoid common organic certification mistakes and much more.
What Does Organic Certification Mean?
Learn about National Organic Program (NOP) standards, policies and practices.
- The Organic Foods Production Act
- What's Included in NOP Regulations?
- Read About NOP Standards
- State Organic Program Standards
- California State Organic Program Requirements
- Foods You CAN Certify
- Foods You CANNOT Certify
- Non-Food Products You CAN Certify
- Who Regulates & Certifies Organic Textiles?
Key Terms You Should Know
Here are some key organic certification terms you should inside and out, before you start the certification process.
- Organic Integrity
- Certified Organic
- National Organic Program (NOP)
- Final Rule
- National Organic Standards Board (NOSB)
Should You Go Organic?
Before you officially go organic, there's a lot to consider. Find out if getting certified is necessary, if it's right for you and if getting certified will benefit your business.
- Is Going Organic a Good Fit?
- Are You Eligible for Certification?
- Are You Exempt From Certification?
- Should Farmers Get Certified?
- Should Restaurants Get Certified?
- Should Retailers Get Certified?
- Should Livestock Producers Get Certified
First Steps to Certification
After you decide that yes, organic certification is perfect for you, the next step is to prepare yourself for the certification process. Here are some key steps to take before you apply.
Achieve Organic Certification
Easy tips about how to actually get certified organic and some answers about how the certification process works.
- Basic Steps to Certification
- Step-by-Step Organic Certification
- Avoid Common Certification Mistakes
- What if Your Application is Denied?
Maintain Organic Certification
You've achieved organic certification. Congratulations! That said, the organic path doesn't end here. There are many challenges you may face when it comes to maintaining your organic standing. Find out what comes after you become certified.
- Use Organic Labels Correctly
- Stay Current with the National List
- Best Handling Practices for Retailers
- Figure Out Organic Business Taxes