The National Organic Program (NOP) just announced a proposed amendments to the crops and processing sections of the National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances, and they're looking for public comment on said proposal.
These are the proposed changes (pdf) to the National List...
- Potassium hydroxide: Would be allowed for peeling any processed peaches, rather than limited to peaches that are Individually Quick Frozen.
- Silicon dioxide: Would be prohibited except (1) if used as a defoamer or (2) if organic rice hulls are not commercially available in the appropriate form, quality or quantity to replace its use.
- Beta-carotene extract color: Would be allowed from algae sources if organic beta-carotene is not commercially available.
- Annatto extract color: Would be required to be sourced from organic annatto only.
- Peracetic acid: Would be allowed in hydrogen peroxide formulations and as currently allowed.
The deadline to submit public comment on these proposed changes is March 17, 2013. If you'd like to comment, visit Regulations.gov.